A prayer that I've prayed often for myself and for my family...Dear God, give me eyes to see people like you do, give me your heart to have compassion like you, give me ears to hear and listen to people like you would. Help me God to really be like you!
Tonight, while trying to enjoy a much needed relaxing bath, I was skimming through a magazine Thriving Family and came across several good articles, but one imparticular that reminded me of the prayer I pray so often. It had several good reminders that I took to heart.
Our hands, unsterilized - Help me to teach my sons by my actions how to work for Christ. Jim Daly spoke it perfectly when he said, "If my boys are going to learn to show God's love to our culture, I must be the one who introduces them to those needs."
Lord, help me to be a doer of Christ's works and show me where those needs are in our community...
Our eyes, focused on others' humanity - He painted a perfect picture, "If a blind man stepped on your foot or spilled hot coffee on you, would you get upset? Of course not! He's not fully aware of space and the proximity of those around him. The same is true with those in the culture who do not embrace the truth of Jesus Christ...We meet people of different beliefs and different backgrounds. They often act in ways we don't like...But we are still called to love those people, and it makes our job much easier if we see them not as evil doers, but as fellow imperfect humans who are loved by God. They are NOT MALICIOUS, but MISGUIDED."
Lord, help me to remember this when we get frustrated and assume things of other people! Give me that compassionate heart that is like yours.
Our hearts, driven by values, not victory - There's an old saying "Winning isn't everything." I, like most moms I know, want to teach my boys to have a Godly character. It's my job as a parent to hold my kids to high standards too. Perfectly said in this article... "It's not if you win, it's how you play the game!"
Lord help me to remind and model to my boys that we don't always need to win, but whether we win or loose, we will do it with a Godly character that puts others before ourselves. It's ok to be competitive as long as we do it right!
No comments:
Post a Comment